My heart was beyond heavy when I heard of Maya Angelou’s passing today. When I think of all she has accomplished in her young 86 years of age, I stand in awe. What an admirable poet, author, activist, and woman.
In her honor, here are ten of my favorite quotes by her:
10. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
9. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.”
8. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.”
7. “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry, to get my work done, and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.”
6. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.”
5. “You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot – it’s all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that, I try to make sure that my experiences are positive.”
4. “One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind true, merciful, generous, or honest.”
3. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”
2. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”
1. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Rest in Peace Lovely Lady.